Wake Up Sheeple!

Monday, July 11, 2005

Why I opposed Bush from the beginning. We liberals are often accused of being nothing other than Bush haters, while I hesitate to use the word hate to describe my disdain for most everything that is Dubba, let me explain where my attitude towards Bush came from. Simply put it goes back to when he first began to run for President. The first thing I did was to examine his biography/background, and my conclusion was that he was not qualified to be President, he was not the best, or the brightest, there was nothing extraordinary about him, irregardless of his politics. Simply put, take away the Bush name and what do you have, a below ordinary individual with few if any accomplishments.

Let's try a little experiment and establish some common ground here. I would imagine that almost everyone would agree that our Presidents should come from the best and brightest of our citizens. Our Presidents have quite often been heroic and extraordinary individuals, who had done great things. Right? So here is the question, name for me one thing outstanding or extraordinary that George W. Bush did prior to becoming President? In answering this question please avoid the media created biography. I’m waiting . . . . . . I will follow up this post with a discussion of your comments and my take.

4 Comments:

  • Besides being Governor of Texas, can't think of much. Of course other previous governors include Clinton, Carter, Nixon, and Reagan.

    But that brings up something someone said about a different candidate. She said that were she a citizen of California she wouldn't have voted for Arnold Schwarzeneggar because he wasn't qualified to be governor. She said that he hadn't help public office before. I asked, "So only people who have held public office are eligible to hold public office?" And she said yes. (I secretly think it's because Arnold is a Republican.)

    By Blogger hiikeeba, at 11:49 AM  

  • What did Carter do that was extraordinary?

    Reagan?
    JFK?
    FDR?
    Hoover?

    The list can go on and on. Part of the appeal for Bush is that he is a "regular Joe." The United States is not made up of a bunch of elitests, so why would you necessarily base your vote upon one? Are you sure this entire post isn't just another reason to bash Bush?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • The guys a dumbass, nothing more, nothing less.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 PM  

  • I don't really expect a president to have done anything out of the ordinary per se. I do, however, expect that person to have demonstrated some semblance of competence in their previous jobs. The most extraordinary thing about George W. is his consistency in failing at practically every job he ever held. He reminds me of those "social promotion" cases in some of our schools - the dude's report card (so to speak) is nothing but F's, but he gets passed on to the next level.

    The other thing I like in a president is intellectual curiosity. The person doesn't have to be a genius, or even to have a fancy Ivy League education. However, I feel more comfortable with someone in the Oval Office who seems interested in the world around him/her, and who is willing to critically think through the complex issues that the office requires him/her to deal with. I've learned over the years that high IQs and advanced degrees are not necessarily synonymous with interest in thinking and problem solving.

    By Blogger Don Durito, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home